I will start this blog of by admitting that I was part of the 1% of people that were disappointed by the lack of snow this past holiday season. Now, this does NOT mean that I wanted a snow storm or anything to that effect; as a matter of fact I didn’t even want 3 inches.
All I wanted was a little coating of magically shaped frozen water, a little something for my inner child to rejoice in. Sadly, that was not the case. Instead of a white holiday season we had a very green holiday season, but what’s that saying? “If you don’t like the weather in New England wait five minutes.”
Christmas Eve: 69 degrees.
Couple Days Later: 8 degrees.
All hail New England weather!
If the above is not enough indication that there is no predicting the weather for the east coast, let’s simmer on that fact that we are coming back from a winter with record-breaking snowfall. I would say it may be wise to prepare for a harsher winter and part of that involves the dreaded winter driving conditions.
Getting Your Car Winter Ready
- Make sure you fill your windshield washer reservoir and buy extra to keep on hand in your vehicle.
- Check your windshield wipers and defrosters to make sure they work.
(Flashback to last winter: Nothing better than scraping ice off of your windshield because your heater is not working and the defroster is blowing cold air.)
- Do NOT pour hot water on your windshield unless you are going for the spider glass effect.
- Inspect your tires and make sure they have enough tread. If you have winter tires and are waiting for some snow to fall to swap out your all season or summer tires, you might want to take into consideration that winter tires are not only meant to perform well in snowy/ icy terrain but also to perform better in cold weather. You wouldn’t want your summer tires cracking due to the brittle conditions.
- If you use winter floor mats, make sure to remove your current ones in order to prevent potential pedal interference.
Unfortunately, even taking extra precautions isn’t always enough, if you or a loved one find yourself injured in a car accident, contact the Law Office of Mazow | McCullough for a consultation. We will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.